- Aberforth DumbledoreAbeforth Dumbledore was a British wizard and the brother of the Headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore. Abeforth owned the Hog's Head pub in Hogsmeade.
- AccioAccio, or the Summoning Charm, is a spell in the Harry Potter universe used to summon objects towards the one who is casting it. It is beneficial for summoning any object that is out of one's reach.
- Acid PopsAcid Pops are a type of sweet in the magical world that are similar to lollipops from the real world. They are known to literally burn a hole in the tongue of the person eating them.
- AconiteAconite, also known as Monkshood or Wolfsbane is a plant with several healing properties. This plant was also found in the muggle world.
- AcromantulaAcromantulas are huge magical spiders native to the dense forests of places like Borneo. They are known to have eight eyes, and eight legs, which are black, hairy and gigantic in size.
- AlchemyAlchemy is a discipline in the Harry Potter Universe which studied the properties of the four basic elements and used them to create valuable substances.
- AlohomoraAlohomora, also known as the Unlocking Charm is a spell used by wizards and witches in the Harry Potter universe to open a lock. It is first seen when Hermione uses it to open the lock on a door to escape the caretaker, Argus Filch.
- Andromeda TonksAndromeda Tonks was a British Witch who studied in Hogwarts. Her father was Cygnus Black, an important member of the Black family. Her mother was Druella Black (née Rosier). She is known mainly for being the mother of the Auror Nymphadora Tonks in the Harry Potter series.
- AnimagusAn Animagus is a witch or wizard who could take the form of an animal at will and come back to the human form whenever needed.
- Antipodean OpaleyeThe Antipodean Opaleye was a type of dragon from New Zealand. It is eventually said to have moved to Australia due to a lack of territory in New Zealand.
- ApareciumAparecium, or the Revealing Charm, was a spell in the Harry Potter universe that revealed messages written with secret ink or invisible ink.
- ApparitionThe act of apparating or apparition is a means of transport through which magical beings teleport from one point in space to another with the help of magic.
- ArithmancyArithmancy was a magical discipline in the wizarding world that dealt with the study of the magical properties of numbers.
- Armando DippetProfessor Armando Dippet was an English wizard who was born in the year 1637 and lived until 1992. He was the headmaster of Hogwarts in the mid-twentieth century.
- Astoria GreengrassAstoria Malfoy (née Greengrass) was a Pure-blood witch who was married to Draco Malfoy and was the mother of Scorpius Malfoy. She died in 2019 due to a blood curse.
- AstronomyAstronomy is a discipline taught in the wizarding world of Harry Potter. Like Muggle Astronomy, this discipline deals with the study of stars and the skies.
- Astronomy TowerThe Astronomy Tower in the Harry Potter series is a part of Hogwarts Castle. Students used it to study the skies and the movements of the stars and planets.
- AurorAurors are elite ministry officials assigned with the task of catching dark wizards and preventing dark magic and any other magical crimes.
- AzkabanAzkaban was a large establishment that served as a high-security prison for the magical community of Britain. Living in Azkaban was considered very scary and dangerous as it was guarded by strange creatures called Dementors.
- BasiliskA Basilisk is a giant snake and a magical beast that is mainl associated with the dark arts and dark wizards.
- Bat-Bogey HexThe Bat-Bogey Hex is a hex used to turn the bogies of the victim of the curse into bats and make them fly out of their nose, thereby causing them discomfort.
- Bathilda BagshotBathilda Bagshot was a celebrated historian, witch and author in the world of magic in the Harry Potter series. She was the author of "A History of Magic", a prescribed textbook in Hogwarts.
- BeaterA beater is a member of a Quidditch team assigned with the task of beating the Bludgers towards the players of the opponent team and protecting their players from Bludgers.
- Beauxbatons Academy of MagicBeauxbatons Academy of Magic is a school for wizards and witches located in the Pyrenees Mountains in Southern France.
- Bertie Bott's Every Flavour BeansBertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans is an assortment of sweets equivalent to muggle jellybeans. However, these beans are of almost every flavour imaginable.
- BezoarA bezoar is a hard stone-like substance usually found lodged in the stomach of a goat. It is used extensively in the Harry Potter universe to make antidotes for a wide variety of toxins and poisons.
- Black ForestThe Black Forest is a forest in Germany in the Harry Potter universe known to be a dwelling for vampires and many other magical creatures.
- Blast-Ended SkrewtsBlast-Ended Skrewts are rare magical creatures that grow up to ten feet long. They are hybrids of Manticores and Fire Crabs and were first bred by Hagrid for the Triwizard Tournament.
- Blood BlisterpodBlood Blisterpod is believed to be a pod that is an essential ingredient in Nosebleed Nougat, although many also believe that Blood Blisterpod is synonymous with Nosebleed Nougat, which is a sweet manufactured by the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.
- Blood-Flavoured LollipopBlood-flavoured lollipops were a sweet sold in Honeydukes Sweet Shop in Hogsmeade. They were available in the 'unusual tastes' section of Honeydukes sweetshop in Hogsmeade and tasted like blood.
- BludgerA Bludger was the ball used in the game of Quidditch to be hit onto the players of the opponent teams. Beaters specifically hit Bludgers in a game with the help of a club.
- BoggartA Boggart is a shape-shifting being that took the form of one's worst fear immediately after being encountered. Its true form was unknown as it would always shift its shape as soon as it encountered someone.
- Borgin and BurkesBorgin and Burkes is an antique dealing shop in Knockturn Alley, known for its wide range of Dark Magical items and several heirlooms and artefacts of renown.
- BowtruckleBowtruckles are magical beings which resemble a plant in most ways but are mobile and active in their natural habitat. Bowtruckles are found residing in trees and are said to guard them against anyone who threatens their survival.
- Broomstick Servicing KitThe Broomstick Servicing Kit was an assortment of items and tools used to service flying broomsticks in the magical world of Harry Potter.
- Bubble-head CharmThe Bubble-head Charm is a charm cast by a wizard or witch usually upon themselves, to help them breathe underwater by creating a bubble-like structure around their face that prevents water from entering.
- BubotuberThe Bubotuber was a magical plant that like a potato, grew as a tuber. The part that grew outside the ground resembled a thick large black slug.
- BuckbeakBuckbeak was a Hippogriff in the Harry Potter universe who was taken care of by Hagrid until he was wrongfully accused of being violent by Lucius Malfoy.
- ButterbeerButterbeer is an alcoholic beverage available in the Harry Potter universe that is especially seen in The Three Broomsticks, a popular inn in Hogsmeade.
- Cassandra TrelawneyCassandra Trelawney was a gifted Seer who was highly celebrated and renowned in the wizarding community. She was also the great-great-grandmother of Sybill Trelawney, the Divination professor at Hogwarts.
- Charity BurbageCharity Burbage was a British witch and the Professor of Muggle Studies at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Cornish PixieCornish Pixies were magical beasts with a proclivity for immense mischief and annoyance to anyone who came across them. They were bright blue in colour and very small in size.
- CrookshanksCrookshanks was the name of Hermione Granger's pet cat. She found him at the beginning of her third year when the trio had gone to the Magical Menagerie pet shop.
- Cruciatus CurseThe Cruciatus Curse is one of the three Unforgivable Curses which is banned from use by the Ministry of Magic. It is a very painful curse to experience as it tortures the person undergoing it both mentally and physically.
- Dark MarkThe Dark Mark was the emblem or symbol used by Lord Voldemort. It was used frequently as a call for his Death Eaters to assemble somewhere, or even as a victory mark when some gruesome crime had been committed.
- Department of Magical Law EnforcementThe Department of Magical Law Enforcement was the largest department in the Ministry of Magic. It dealt with lawmaking and the upkeeping of wizarding laws and regulations.
- DiricawlA diricawl is a flightless magical bird with a plump body and fluffy feathers. It is known as a dodo by Muggles who believe it to be extinct.
- Dominique WeasleyDominique Weasley was the younger daughter of Bill and Fleur Weasley (neé Delacour). She was part Veela from her mother's side and was the sister of Victoire Weasley and Louis Weasley.
- Dorcas MeadowesDorcas Meadowes was a British witch and an essential member of the Order of the Phoenix during the First Wizarding War. She helped the order fight Lord Voldemort during his initial rise to power.
- Draco Dormiens Nunquam TitillandusDraco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus is the motto of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is a Latin phrase which translates to "Never tickle a sleeping dragon".
- Draught of Living DeathThe Draught of Living Death is one of the most potent potions strong enough to put someone to sleep perpetually. It is prepared through a very arduous process and requires skills to master preparation.
- EkrizdisEkrizdis was a dark wizard who lived in the fifteenth century. He is believed to be the first inhabitant of Azkaban, which later became a prison to hold criminals from the magical world.
- Elixir of LifeThe Elixir of Life was a potion that gifted its drinker immortality as long as they kept drinking it at regular intervals. It was made with the help of the Philosopher's Stone.
- Godric GryffindorGodric Gryffindor was a wizard and was among the four founders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The Gryffindor house was named after him in his honour.
- Golden SnitchThe Golden Snitch is the smallest ball among the three balls used during Quidditch, the other two being the Quaffle and the Bludger.
- Gringotts BankThe Gringotts Wizarding Bank is one of the most popular landmarks in Magical London. It was a bank for witches and wizards in Great Britain.
- Hannah AbbottHannah Abbott was a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She was sorted into the Hufflepuff house and joined Hogwarts in the same year as Harry Potter.
- Harry PotterHarry Potter is probably one of the bravest characters to ever exist in the history of children's literature. Despite being brought up in a non-magic family for a major period of his early life, Harry went on to defeat one of the strongest dark wizards to ever have lived.
- Hermione GrangerHermione Granger is one of the brightest and most talented students Hogwarts has ever seen and is a very close friend of Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley.
- HippogriffHippogriffs are magical beasts in the Harry Potter universe that resembled both an eagle and a horse through their distinct bodily features.
- HogsmeadeHogsmeade is a small village in Britain where the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is situated. It is an all-wizarding village, and Muggles have no access to it.
- Hogwarts Great HallThe Great Hall was the main area of assembly for all the members residing in Hogwarts Castle. It was situated beyond the Entrance Hall behind a large door which opened into it.
- Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and WizardryJ.K. Rowling's Harry Potter is a global phenomenon. The school of Hogwarts is the setting for the majority of the Harry Potter books and movies. We take a closer look at Hogwarts here.
- Invisibility CloakThe Invisibility Cloak that Harry Potter possesses is a very ancient magical object that is considered along with the Resurrection Stone and the Elder Wand to comprise the Deathly Hallows.
- James Sirius PotterJames Sirius Potter was the eldest son of Harry Potter and Ginny Potter (née Weasley). He was named after his paternal grandfather James Potter and his best friend, Sirius Black.
- KneazleA Kneazle is a magical being, specifically a beast that closely resembles cats found in the Muggle world. Kneazles had slight distinctions in appearance from cats especially because of their pointy ears.
- Lily Luna PotterLily Luna Potter was the youngest and only daughter of Harry Potter and Ginny Potter (née Weasley). She was around two years younger than Albus Severus Potter and four years younger than James Sirius Potter.
- Lord VoldemortLord Voldemort was a dark wizard and the prime antagonist of the Harry Potter series. He was born Tom Riddle but changed his name to Lord Voldemort as he gained power.
- Ludo BagmanLudovic "Ludo" Bagman was a British Wizard, Quidditch player and the Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports in the Ministry of Magic.
- MandrakeMandrakes are magical plants that grow underground in the Harry Potter universe. They are used to treat people who are petrified. The cry of the Mandrake is considered fatal for anyone who hears it.
- Marauder's MapThe Marauder's Map was a map that was capable of revealing almost all the details surrounding Hogwarts castle including the names of the people and their positions within the castle.
- Marcus BelbyMarcus Belby was a wizard and a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1990 to 1997. He was sorted into Ravenclaw House.
- Ministry of MagicThe Ministry of Magic is the governing body of magic in Great Britain and is responsible for the administrative requirements of its citizens in magical Britain.
- Mirror of ErisedThe Mirror of Erised was a magical item that was capable of very strong magic. It showed someone their innermost desires as they stood in front of it.
- MudbloodMudblood is a very offensive term used to refer to people in the wizarding world who were born to muggle parents or had some muggle connections. It was widely used by pure-blood supremacy enthusiasts who continued to insult their fellow muggle-born wizards and witches with this term.
- MuggleMuggles are non-magic people who form the majority of the population in the world. Unlike wizards and witches in the Harry Potter Universe, Muggles have no magical abilities.
- Neville LongbottomNeville Longbottom was a British Wizard who was one of the close friends and allies of Harry Potter. Despite being considered a very meek and timid boy, he rose to the occasion and was crucial in ending Lord Voldemort's reign.
- NifflerThe Niffler is a magical animal from the Harry Potter universe that resembles a platypus. It is known for its constant attraction to shiny things which makes it very useful in treasure hunting.
- OccamyAn Occamy was a winged, two-legged serpentine magical beast with plumes. It could grow up to fifteen feet and could change its size based on its surroundings.
- OcclumencyOcclumency was the magical art of preventing one's mind from being open to interpretation through Legilimency. It was very difficult to master and required several years of practice to become an expert.
- Penelope ClearwaterPenelope Clearwater was a British Muggle-born or Half-blooded witch and a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1987 to 1994. She was sorted into Ravenclaw house.
- Petrificus TotalusPetrificus Totalus, or the Full-Body Binding Curse, is a spell that is used to neutralise its victims, making it impossible for them to move. This spell causes temporary paralysis.
- Phyllida SporePhyllida Spore was a famous Herbologist who lived in the Fifteenth Century and is credited with her famous treatise 'One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi' which is used as a textbook of Herbology at Hogwarts.
- Polyjuice PotionPolyjuice Potion is a potion in the Harry Potter books that allows its drinker to disguise themselves into another person. It was a very effective disguising agent until its effects wore off.
- The Potter FamilyHarry Potter's family, also known as the Potter Family is a reputed family of wizards and witches in the magical world of Harry Potter.
- Pygmy PuffPygmy Puffs were specially bred Puffskiens which were sold in the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, the joke shop that Fred and George Weasley ran.
- Re'emRe'ems are magical animals that are similar to giant Ox. They were endemic to the forests of the Far Eastern regions like China and Japan and to North America.
- Rodolphus LestrangeRodolphus Lestrange was a British dark wizard and one of the most crucial Death Eaters who was imprisoned in Azkaban after Voldemort's disappearance. He was also the husband of Bellatrix Lestrange.
- Rolf ScamanderRolf Scamander is a British Magizoologist and wizard. He is Luna Lovegood's husband and the grandson of Newt and Porpentina Scamander.
- Romilda VaneRomilda Vane was a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She belonged to the Gryffindor house and was known to have an intense crush on Harry Potter.
- Ron WeasleyRonald Weasley is the best friend of Harry Potter and a significant character throughout the Harry Potter series.
- Room of RequirementThe Room of Requirement was a room at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry which had a hidden door that only appeared when someone asked for it. It would take the form of an exact type of room they wanted.
- Susan BonesSusan Bones was a student of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She belonged to the Hufflepuff house and joined Hogwarts in 1991, the same year Harry Potter did.
- The BurrowThe Burrow is the name of the house in which the Weasley family stays in the Harry Potter series. It is situated near a village called Ottery St. Catchpole in Devon, England, Great Britain.
- Tina GoldsteinPorpentina "Tina" Scamander (née Goldstein) is an American witch and one of the major characters in the Fantastic Beasts movie series. She is also the wife of Newt Scamander, the Magizoologist.
- TrollA troll was a magical being in the Harry Potter universe that was larger than humans in size and very strong but was known to be underdeveloped mentally.
- Wingardium LeviosaWingardium Leviosa or the Levitation Charm is a spell used to levitate an object in the air from its resting position. It is a very useful spell in the magical world.